Monday, April 27, 2009

Fame by proxy

I emailed Shashi Tharoor's assistant after I finished reading his novel, 'Riot'.

From: khadijaejaz@hotmail.com
To: merrylit@aol.com; tharoor.assistant@gmail.com
Subject: 'Riot' comments
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 23:47:44 +0400

Hi there,

I'm an Indian Muslim who was raised in the Sultanate of Oman and spent a decade in the US at university and at work. I'm also a writer. I actually just finished reading Dr. Tharoor's novel, 'A Riot', all in one day, mostly because I was unable to tear myself away from it. I just had to reach out and let Dr. Tharoor know how gripping his book was; it left me completely drained. Whenever I come across creative work that has such a powerful effect on me, I end up hoping that I too someday create something that affects people in the same way. Yikes.

All the best to Dr. Tharoor for the elections, woo hoo!

Khadija
http://khadijaejaz.netfirms.com
http://khadijaejaz.blogspot.com

"Verily in the heavens and the earth, are Signs for those who believe."
- The Holy Quran (45:3)

They must've figured out how important I am because they replied back really fast!

Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 16:11:58 -0400
Subject: Re: 'Riot' comments
From: tharoor.assistant@gmail.com
To: khadijaejaz@hotmail.com


Thank you, Khadija! I have sent this on to Dr. Tharoor and he was thrilled to hear from you and touched by your compliments.

He wishes you all the best with your writings and looks forward to hearing of your success!

Sincerely,
Holly Ellis

No comments: