Monday, August 25, 2008

Back when Cyrus fought the Medians

It's that time again when I'm researching for yet another children's book. This time I'm time-travelling back 2500 years to ancient Persia. I am seriously in awe of it all. Two reasons why this project is personally enlightening to me is because I grew up in Oman and because my background as a North Indian Muslim was heavily influenced by Persia. So now that I'm studying the details of the Persian Empire, I'm finally able to put two and two together and understand the relevance and origin of all those metaphors, names, details, and other parts of my own distant lineage. Not to mention that reading about such fantastic civilisations makes me feel totally insignificant. Like looking up at the night sky and wondering about time.

No comments: