Thursday, July 10, 2008

Ars gratia artis

Meet Joseph Chamberlain, a self-taught inner-inspired artist that I ran into at a mini fair in the Williams building during the lunch hour. I stopped and chatted with him about his art and ended up feeling quite talent-deprived after he described his dedication and drive toward his work. For instance, one painting he's been working on for 7 years and will take another year or so to complete. Why? Because it involves him using your everyday ink pen and drawing in little circles until you cannot tell if the painting's a computer printout or a photocopy. Dang.

Joseph talked of using colours to express his heart on the canvas. The only thing that stopped me from feeling like an idiot is my medium of expression: words.

'...and words are all I have, to take your heart away'.

No comments: