Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Jesus Christ Superstar

(Originally composed Sunday, September 23, 2007)

When I was a little girl, my mother would tell me stories about the various prophets mentioned in the Quran. One thing that really struck my fancy was that Hazrat Isa, a.k.a Jesus Christ, was prophecised to one day return to humanity. Now this was a huge deal considering that Muslims believe that the Prophet Mohammed (peace be upon him) is the last in the line of prophets sent from God, the first having been Hazrat Aadam a.k.a Adam. The only exception is Hazrat Isa because he would not really be (re)born but would descend from the sky in the same form that he was taken back in his time.

I had always secretly harboured the desire to be present in the time of a prophet. I daydreamed about the cool things I would do while being a member of the prophet's posse. Sadly, I couldn't even hope for a prophet in my own time. The return of Hazrat Isa looked to be my only chance. I just knew that I would be working closely with him. And what relationship would be closer than that of a mother and a son? I wanted to grow up to be the woman who gave birth to a prophet of God. Now that was not going to be a possibility what with Hazrat Isa not set to technically be 'born' again. In my eyes, only one option remained for me to maintain my close alliance with him, and that was to get married to him whenever he returned!

So yes, before I was the girl that desperately wanted to marry Captain Kirk, Kevin Costner, Robert Downey Jr., and various other male celebrities, I was the girl that wanted to grow up and marry Jesus Christ during Armageddon.

No comments: