Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Your Eyes

(Originally composed Monday, October 29, 2007)

All I can say is thank goodness I'm not in the same place I was when I wrote this poem last year.

I could fly with you
My spirit soared
Higher and higher
I danced on air
My heart felt free
I laughed after years
And I was not afraid
Anymore.
Oh, my heart sang in flight
The sun shone on my toes
Dancing queen once more
Could this be happening
Your care, gentle and loving
I saw your eyes
I saw your eyes, blast it
I saw it in your eyes
How could you deny it
I saw it in your eyes
I saw it
Don't turn your face away
I saw it in your eyes
Your trembling embrace
I saw the damn thing in your eyes
Your reaching out
Your reaching out
I heard you
I saw your eyes
All I needed to know
I crashed
Broke flight
Ripped my wings
You turned your face away
I loved you
Because I saw it in your eyes
I saw right in them
I broke my bones
Pieces and pieces
Crunched and smashed
I saw it in your eyes
Your eyes, dammit
They hunt me
Haunt me
Hopeful lights, afraid
Afraid to hope
I can never forget the sight
Of what I saw in your eyes
I saw some comfort
Some joy
Some hope
Some peace
Some fear
Some of my own twinkle & daring
At last
At last, at long last
Shall I search for that look again
Where do I search
I am afraid to look in the eyes of another
I don't want to see you there
Tell me what I saw
And set me to sleep.

No comments: