Monday, January 2, 2012

The Solitary Reaper

"The fun was over. I was no longer a part of them. I watched them dance and that terrible emotion, which I rarely allow to surface began to assail me. I wondered if there would ever be a man in my life. Would a man see beyond my body? Would anyone put their arms around me and dance wth me? Would anyone kiss me passionately? Would I ever be needed by a man emotionally or would I always be regarded as a burden for someone to take care of? A silent tear unseen by any human eye trickled down my face as Lionel Richie's 'Hello' blared in the background, the dancer's put their arms around each other and were lost in discovering each other's world.

I was left alone with my thoughts. The realisation that I would be disabled all my life dawned upon me. I had always imagined that when I grew up, I would be normal."

- Malini Chib, "One Little Finger"

No comments: